Hello and welcome to 2021!
This year I'll give back to the amazing community in a different, covid safe, way. I'm offering four people six coaching sessions! I got a lot of value attending coaching sessions; so much so, that I took a course on how to be a coach so I could help others. I really liked the one-on-one focus, and ability to dive deep into a problem with someone else. I'd like to take my coaching practice deeper through a continued relationship so you have time to make changes and grow.
I'm particularly interested in coaching women through inflection points. Did you become a manager? Or perhaps you're considering changing companies? Are you a mid or senior developer wondering how to have wider impact? Possibly you're a junior developer in your first programming job.
Please do apply if you're keen, but don't particularly align with one of these inflection points. These were just the ones that came to mind, but I'm happy to hear about other situations too!
- Six sessions
- One hour each
- Once a month (February - July)
- Expect homework each session, around an hour a week or less
- Free! Kind of...
I really don't want your money - I want to help you and give back to our wonderful community! However, to make this work you need to be as committed as I am. The best way I know to quantify commitment between strangers is with money. So here are the rules for payment:
- You pay $300 upfront that I'll hold, but not spend.
- I'll transfer you $50 back after every session you attend. That way you get the whole amount if you show up for all six sessions.
- If you reschedule with less than 12 hours notice I will keep $25 to offset the annoyance.
- If you simply don't show up then I keep the full $50. Again, I'd rather do the session, but if I gave up my evening sitting on a video call alone then I'd like to get my nails done.
I've done this kind of payment before and have a track record of not stealing from anyone. The initial payment wouldn't be due until after our "get to know you" session - don't give money to strangers on the internet!
If $300 is prohibitively expensive for you (student, unemployed, etc) please mention this in your application and we'll figure something out. Again - I don't want your money, I want your commitment.
- Identify as a woman
- Available for sessions during the evening AEDT
- Good enough internet connection for an hour long video call
- Sessions in English
- Applications due by Jan 14
I'll contact everyone during the last week of January. I'll schedule a 30 min "get to know you" session to double check that we want to commit to this process together.
Here's a bit more about me, so you know what I have experience with and where I might help you.
- Completed a computer science degree in the US; some friends have done coding bootcamps, but I don't have first hand experience here
- Lived and worked in Silicon Valley for a couple of years
- Moved to New Zealand and then Sydney (covering visa stress, feeling like an outsider, and settling in)
- Worked for a couple of small startups
- Now work for Atlassian
- Moved from developer to manager
- I've been involved in the community over the years, working with: Women Who Code Sydney, Rails Girls, Girl Geek Dinners, and run a few programming related study groups
- I also have a passion for public speaking, especially for new or hesitant speakers